Saturday, April 3, 2010

Reeces Cheesecake


My parents asked me to bring a cheesecake for Easter dinner.  I made one recently that was DELICIOUS but decided not to repeat the recipe in favor of trying something new.  After reviewing several online recipes, I decided to make peanut butter cheesecake with an oreo crust.  It looks amazing and I can't wait to cut into it tomorrow! Here's what I did:






























I used my oreo crust recipe from last time:




Crust:
  • 2-3 cups Oreo cookies with cream center removed, finely ground. This is about 3/4 of the package.
  • 5-6 tbsp. of butter (melted)
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
And then I used this recipe for the cheesecake part:

  • 3 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened (I usually use some low/nonfat to cut the calories)
  • 1 can (14 oz.)  Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 TBS flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup peanut butter
FIRST:
Preheat the oven to 300.  This cheesecake recipe tells you to fill a cake pan (I used 9x13 glass) with water and put it in the oven.  I don't know why, but I did it anyway.  You don't take it out until you take the cake out.

TO MAKE THE CRUST:
1) Remove the cream from almost a full package of oreos
2) Put them in a food processor with 1/8 tsp. Salt, about 5 tablespoons of melted butter, and 1/3 cup of sugar.
3) Give it a few pulses until everything is finely chopped and is crumbly but will stick together.  Voila!
4) Firmly press the crust into the bottom of a springform pan.
5) Stick it in the oven for about ten minutes.  Take it out, raise the oven's heat to 350.


TO MAKE THE CHEESECAKE:
1) In a large bowl, beat the 3 packages of cream cheese until creamy.  
2) Add the can of sweetened condensed milk and 3/4 cup of peanut butter until smooth.
3) Add the eggs (3) one at a time, mixing after each.  With the last egg, add the vanilla.  Then beat until combined.
4) Carefully pour (I start by spooning) the batter onto the pre-baked crust.
5) OPTIONAL: Coursely chop some Reeces Cups (I used 8) and sprinkle them over the top.
6) Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes.  The edge should be set and the middle should move slightly.
7) Turn off the over but leave the cake in it for a few hours.  The original recipe says 1-4, so clearly this part isn't a science.
8)  Cool overnight for best results.


More pics to come.  Can't wait to taste it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment